Monday, June 6, 2011

Summer 1985

The Goonies met the summer after my seventh grade year. Renee, Susie, Dwayne, and I had claimed an old, knotted up, crazy looking tree out in Reservoir Park's field as the Goonie Tree, and we met under it every weekday afternoon. We were all a little older than the other kids at the park sponsored day camp, but had siblings we were supposed to help keep an eye on. We quickly discovered that we were outsiders at our separate schools, but we found each other and banded together lightening fast. Most of the time you could find us playing box hockey together, battling it out at foursquare together, or hanging out by the swings, taking turns and singing.

Singing? On the swingset?

Of course! If you were with me when I was a kid, it was one of my favorite things to do. Spontaneously bursting out into song, uninhibited. The Goonies all loved music. We had also all recently discovered the opposite gender. There were many animated conversations that summer about crushes, and love, about physical attractiveness, and early exploration of telling those crushes what we thought. We started talking honestly about our feelings with each other, and for all of us, it was the first time we had trusted peers or friends with anything important.

For whatever reason, the song "The Search Is Over" by Survivor was a song we all gravitated to that summer, and it will always make me think of the beginning of the end of my childhood. All the talk about boys and girls and love, singing about broken hearts, about loss and longing, knowing you had taken advantage of someone, and trying to prove yourself to them. Some heavy subject matter. But this song was sung with such depth of emotion, and I think that was what we all identified with. And we sang it that way too. Like we meant it.


Author's Note: I listened to this song for the first time in a long time last year while putting together an epic playlist for my 20 year high school reunion roadtrip, and I still knew all the words. I continued my friendship with Dwayne and Renee, and still keep in touch with both of them. For those wondering, The Search Is Over was released June 5, 1985. The Goonies movie came out June 7, 1985. I think it's a funny coincidence that I am writing about this particular song and movie on June 6, many years later!

Writing prompt: We want to know what, from your childhood, do you still know by heart?



30 comments:

  1. Music makes the best memories! My friend and I used to sing "Cool Rider" from Grease 2 (baaad movie) while we road down the street on our bikes. In retrospect, the lyrics were NOT appropriate! LOL

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those are some of the best memories. I immediately saw Goonies in my head. It's so great that you still are friends with those people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I loved Goonies! It may or may not have been one of the first PG movies that I saw!

    Frelle, on a side-note I want you to know how much I love your "Author's Notes." They always feel so personal and give me one more glimpse, one more way of understanding. Thanks for those. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goonies! How cool that you had your own 'Goonies Tree'. What a wonderful memory to hold on to. I'm listening to "The Search is Over" while I click clack the keyboard now and it's sending me back. And yes, I agree, it's perfect timing to write on your theme song you shared with life long friends. :>

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goonies = awesome
    Love that you shared this memory. We had a tree too that all my friends hung out in...in my front yard ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you called yourself the Goonies! Ah, that movie brings back memories. As does the song...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love this. I've been thinking about childhood memories with old friends a lot lately and I might write a few short stories about them soon. Granted - that might be because I'm in the wedding of my oldest friend and she's getting married in 10 DAYS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't these fantastic memories??Thank you for sharing them with me my friend

    ReplyDelete
  9. What can I say? I agree with everyone here lol! I loved Goonies, and I also just celebrated my 20 year High School reunion with an epic playlist.
    Thanks for sharing this, and bringing back some great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You carried me back into your memories with you. I too loved the Goonies. I also loved that song. Now it's stuck in my head thank you very much. Thanks for sharing the awkward days of childhood with us. -HonestConvoGal (for some reason, my Google profile won't work at work).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how music has the ability to take us back to certain moments in time... and how funny that the dates lined up like that! It was an omen; how could you not post about this for the prompt?! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the description of the coming of age...letting those first secrets out about how you were changing. Great stuff here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Music can instantly bring you back, can't it? Im always amazed the the lyrics i still remember!
    Such a wonderful story of friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful memory. And listening to that song brought back several of my own. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMGoodness, I love " the beginning of the end of my childhood" *sigh* You hooked me there. What a beautiful time. Those friends:) I want to take stay all day in that memory.

    BTW, I learned the ASL alphabet with both hands too! Good party trick:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Longing" is the perfect word to use when talking about that period in our lives. the sensation had so many new dimensions to it as we got older, and I think that song has something about it (the words? tone? music itself?) that really gets that feeling across.
    I liked taking this journey back with you!
    As you know, I'm here from TRDC linkup.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm ignoring the song (although i saw Survivor open for Reo Speedwagon in 1985, they played Eye of the Tiger - TWICE) and saying - fun post..

    funny how those lightning in a bottle moments stay with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goonies is one of the best movies ever!! And it's remarkable how music can transport you to a time and place instantly.
    Those were exciting times... childhood... on the brink of adulthood...

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG! The Goonies was such an awesome movie. I still love it.
    And this song, I too know all the words, remembering slow dancing at my first dance in 7th grade, boys at arms length (for the good girls)and a little closer for the um less than good girls.
    And thats all I have to say about THAT!

    Thank you for taking me back to that time. How absolutely lovely (because I'm no longer living through all the tween/teen angst!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am ashamed to say I never saw Goonies as a kid, and I only saw it for the first time a couple of years ago :(

    It's amazing how music stays with people, some more than others, in a way that nothing else can. This is a lovely memory.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great movie and memory! I also think that it's great that you have kept in touch with your childhood friends. It's something that can be hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Music is like a key that unlocks so many memories for this song was your wonderful teen years. This song for me- well something else entirely but just as lovely. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your description of being outsiders in one context, but a group when you all came together, what gift. What a great memory of music and all the things that were attached to it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had a 2 year old daughter that year. But I remember box hockey and four square from long before that, played at what we called The Park Board. Do they have those anymore? Places for kids to hang out in the summer?

    Your memories brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great post. I felt the freedom of summer, the uncertainty of that period of life. And the excitement.

    You did a great job taking me back!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ah, the Goonies :) What a great movie...and what a great name for your little gang. Love how you described this as your last brush with childhood. You were all on the cusp of adulthood, about to let go of those last days of being a kid. A bittersweet memory.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. As someone said earlier the idea that at your schools you were outsiders but here you were a group is very powerful. I wish there were a way to convey to kids of this age that their outsider status doesn't have to be permanent or universal. I think there is so much hope in that. It added a real depth to the entire piece for me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved summer for this reason. I remember the summer that I lost the kid and tried to appear more adult.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for your sweet comments. I don't know if anyone will check back to see, but I sent this post to Dwayne, and found out that this song takes him back to that same place. And that my memories of that time are just like his, including the song I chose to write about. We tabulated that we were both at that park for day camp for six summers in our youth, from 4th to 10th grade!

    ReplyDelete
  30. There is that 1983 song by Neon Trees and I can't say that I would want to go back to 83. I was 11 in 84 and that was when all the fun began in my life.

    ReplyDelete